ADSM-L

Re: MS-SQL TDP weirdness

2004-10-05 13:40:15
Subject: Re: MS-SQL TDP weirdness
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 13:42:40 -0400
We did check and everything is the default, which should be *1*.

We checked and the TDP is V2.2.1.  He is installing the 5.2.1
upgrade/update, although I thought it was simply a "version realignment" ?

Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
10/05/2004 01:16 PM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: MS-SQL TDP weirdness

Zoltan,

Data Protection for SQL allows you to increase throughput
of your backups and restores my creating multiple streams
via multiple TSM API sessions with the TSM Server.
As Richard noted, you can look at IBM KB article 1145253 for details.
It is also documented in the User's Guide.

The GUI "Restore" tabs show you the number of stripes that
were used for the backup under a column labeled "Stripes"
on the right-hand side of the screen.
This information is also available from the command-line
through the "TDPSQLC QUERY TSM dbname" command.

If you used the defaults, then you would only be using 1 stripe.
However, by the sounds of it, you are using multiple stripes.
If you are running on SQL 2000, you can reduce the number of stripes
being used at restore time by setting the STRIPES parameter.
Under SQL 7, you need to use the same number of stripes at restore.
In the GUI, this is found on the Edit--->Configuration menu item.
The Performance Tab has a field called "Stripes".

I would double-check the version of Data Protection for SQL that
you are using for the restore... make sure it is at least at the
same level or higher of the version you performed the backup with.
(That information is also available in the restore tab right-hand
side list entries.)

Thanks,

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 10/05/2004
12:48:37 PM: