ADSM-L

Multiplexing to a single tape

2004-07-19 12:15:59
Subject: Multiplexing to a single tape
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 09:06:14 -0700
I was wondering if anyone was multiplexing backups to a single tape.
Recently I attended a Veritas class, our "other" new backup system, (yes I
did ask to stay completely with TSM) and they really touted this as what
seemed like a very good means of backup. Unless you have the newer faster
technology tape drives I'm not sure I agree with it but don't have
experience since disk pools have always been plentiful. I'm not sure I agree
with it anyway because I believe restores would be slow since data would be
scattered throughout the tape. What if multiple restores need the same tape?
Can they run at the same time and if so wouldn't that be even worse?

So the question I have is, has anyone tried this functionality with TSM, or
Veritas for that matter since I believe there are others on the list that
use it. I am interested in any feedback so feel free to praise or rail on
it.

Thanks,

Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator