ADSM-L

Re: archive to tape ???

2004-03-02 12:13:37
Subject: Re: archive to tape ???
From: Michael D Schleif <mds AT HELICES DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 10:57:40 -0600
* Bill Smoldt <smoldt AT STORSOL DOT COM> [2004:03:02:08:21:09-0700] scribed:
> Michael,
>
> What are you intending to archive on the disk array?  You can't see the
> files on the disk in their native format.  You can't archive the disk
> storage pools because they're locked by TSM.   Unless the native files are
> stored on this disk array, you would have to archive from the clients, not
> archive the data on the disk array.  Perhaps there is more to your archive
> plan than you've mentioned?

Thank you.

I admit, I am not well versed in the Archive functionality, hence my
posts and questions ;>

Research has turned up `portable client backup set' functionality.

This looks to fit the bill, except I am not clear _how_ to apply this in
batch mode to all clients?

Can this be used, and then expire the backup set when the tapes are
returned onsite and made available in the tape magazine?

> The second data center configuration makes much more sense.  Presumably, you
> have virtual volumes at each data center for the other.   A critical missing
> element in what you're revealing to us is the speed of the link between the
> two datacenters and the volume of data that changes daily.  Without that
> information it's impossible to know if the configuration is realistic.

OK, my client is mysterious and gun-shy.  Upper management has discussed
shelving TSM and buying BackupExec, or some other ;<

However unusual and un-optimal their current situation is, they are not
interested in re-architecting their backup system again, for the sixth
time.  I may be able to get to that point; but, only after I demonstrate
considerable value -- even if that value is illusory and only addresses
what they insist that they want done now.

I believe that they are right, insofar as my client needs to take data
offsite.  Under the status quo, the easiest way to accomplish that --
right now -- is to copy data to tape, and take tapes offsite.  Do you
disagree?

Please, let me put my predispositions aside.  What data do you suggest
that we put on tape, how do you suggest that we get it there, and how do
you suggest that we rotate tapes offsite?

What do you think?

--
Best Regards,

mds