ADSM-L

Re: TSM on Linux for large sites? Was: TSM on AIX now, platform changecoming?

2003-12-12 01:55:54
Subject: Re: TSM on Linux for large sites? Was: TSM on AIX now, platform changecoming?
From: Werner Baur <Werner.Baur AT LRZ-MUENCHEN DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 07:55:35 +0100
Stef Coene wrote:
On Thursday 11 December 2003 22:20, Marcel J.E. Mol wrote:

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 03:02:15PM +0100, Werner Baur wrote:

Deon George schrieb:

One of the major problems we see with linux as tsm server platform is
that you forced to use a well-defined but very restricted range of linux
flavors which is supported by IBM. For example, we would like to use
Suse9 which is our standard system for all our linux serves but are
pinned to SLES 8 if we want to get support from IBM any longer.

I tried TSM on some other Linux kernels. It runs fine as long as you
dont use and tape drives.  To use tape drives you need the tsm.devices rpm
for tape drivers.  uThe point is that this rpm contains support for only
a few linux kernel versions.

What you can do is install any linux distribution you want.  After that,
compile a new kernel from the source of one of the supported distributions.
I used the SUSE 2.4.18 kernel source on a debian box.  And it worked flawless.

Stef

--
stef.coene AT docum DOT org
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"

We have already considered that and I suppose that's the way it goes.

Werner

--
Werner Baur                    Tel.:++49-89-28928781
Leibniz-Rechenzentrum           Fax:++49-89-2809460