ADSM-L

Re: TSM on Linux for large sites? Was: TSM on AIX now, platform changecoming?

2003-12-11 16:21:45
Subject: Re: TSM on Linux for large sites? Was: TSM on AIX now, platform changecoming?
From: "Marcel J.E. Mol" <marcel AT MESA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 22:20:53 +0100
On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 03:02:15PM +0100, Werner Baur wrote:
> Deon George schrieb:
>
> One of the major problems we see with linux as tsm server platform is
> that you forced to use a well-defined but very restricted range of linux
> flavors which is supported by IBM. For example, we would like to use
> Suse9 which is our standard system for all our linux serves but are
> pinned to SLES 8 if we want to get support from IBM any longer.

I tried TSM on some other Linux kernels. It runs fine as long as you
dont use and tape drives.  To use tape drives you need the tsm.devices rpm
for tape drivers.  uThe point is that this rpm contains support for only
a few linux kernel versions.

If we could just convince TSM development to release the tsm.devices
as opensource it would be quite simple to rebuild the drivers for other
kernel versions (and different linux distributions).

-Marcel
--
     ======--------         Marcel J.E. Mol                MESA Consulting B.V.
    =======---------        ph. +31-(0)6-54724868          P.O. Box 112