ADSM-L

Re: Move Nodedata starts and ends without doing anything

2003-11-12 02:09:08
Subject: Re: Move Nodedata starts and ends without doing anything
From: Jurjen Oskam <jurjen-tsm AT STUPENDOUS DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 08:08:39 +0100
On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 02:01:33PM -0500, Richard Sims wrote:

> That obviously precludes Access=Offsite.  And wouldn't it be nice if the
> programmers put out some kind of message when the function ends up copying
> none of the data that the customer requested?  (Come on, IBM - that's not
> "enterprise" level programming.)

You wouldn't believe how much effort it took to get APAR IC36499 opened
(which addresses this issue).

How it finally got opened: I nailed them with the fact that even a MOVE
NODEDATA on a *non-existant* filespace reported success with 0 bytes moved.
At first support even classified this as "works as designed": "Since
there wasn't any data to be moved, moving 0 bytes is success". After I
asked them to fix the DELETE FILESPACE command (which *does* give an error
on a non-existant filespace), support instead finally opened the APAR for
MOVE NODEDATA.

Once the APAR was opened, a programmer apparently took advantage of it to
also include the reporting of off-site volumes.

--
Jurjen Oskam

PGP Key available at http://www.stupendous.org/