ADSM-L

Re: TSM Storage Pool Hierarchy Question

2003-10-21 07:25:14
Subject: Re: TSM Storage Pool Hierarchy Question
From: Deon George <dgeorge AT AU1.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 12:22:01 +1000
Curt,

> The hierarchy will eventually look like this:
>
> Remote Server (RS) Disk Cache
>   -Main Server (MS) Disk Cache
>      -MS Tape Pool
>          -MS Offsite Copy Pool
>
> Questions I have:
> 1) Is this possible?

Yes, no problems - you create a DEVCLASS of type SERVER, then a storage
pool that uses that DEVCLASS.

Primary backup goes to your local DISK storage pool, with the "NEXT"
storage pool as the one with the devclass of type server.

Keep in mind, that the "MS" will see these as ARCHIVES (and will be
unaware of the contents of the archives), so make sure your management
class is set appropriately (for the storage hierarchy) - and doesnt expire
them. Leave the expiration responsibility to RS.

Run Reconcile Volumes ("help reconcile volumes" to see what it does)
frequently, to make sure things are in sync - and investigate why remote
volumes are out of sync (if they become that way).

> 2) Can I do this without the DR module?

Yes

> 3) How does the RS backup it's database - because it won't backup to the
local disk?

You can send your RS backups to the DEVCLASS (of type server), so that
they are stored there as well. Make sure you keep a CURRENT copy of your
VOLHIST backup file (backup volhistory) - so that if you need it, you can
recover those volumes. (Remember the MS wont have any idea of the contents
of the backups from RS - it only sees them as archive "blobs".).

> 3b) Should the RS backup it's DB directly to tape? and if so, how is it
possible to share the tape library with no NAS?

Either to tape if you can, or to a "FILE" devclass and ship them off
somewhere, so that they are easily accessible. (EG: Backup to devclass
FILE, which might be C:\TSM\FILECLASS, then have a FTP job that collects
them and moves them somewhere else, for DR availability.)

Sharing the tape library does require a SAN or shared SCSI connections and
depends on the library - I have no first hand experience, so I'm sure
somebody else will comment.

> 4) Should I just break down and put some tape drives out there to
> handle the DBs?

No, you can use your network and other tools (ftp, etc) to save you on the
cost of the drives, and the tape jockey (to make sure that the correct
tape is loaded, etc). Make sure you have the process right though, and
TEST IT - you dont want to test it when a DR is in progress!

...deon
---
Have you looked at the A/NZ Tivoli User Group website?
http://www.tuganz.org

Deon George, IBM Tivoli Software Engineer, IBM Australia
Office: +61 3 9626 6058, Fax: +61 3 9626 6622, Mobile: +61 412 366 816,
IVPN +70 66058
mailto:dgeorge AT au1.ibm DOT com, http://www.ibm.com/tivoli