ADSM-L

Re: Tivoli Decision Support for Storage Management Analysis

2003-09-02 13:03:22
Subject: Re: Tivoli Decision Support for Storage Management Analysis
From: Zlatko Krastev <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 20:01:14 +0300
I would say it is not correct statement. TDS is product for creating OLAP
reports over management information collected by diverse Tivoli management
products while TSM Operational Reporting is for only for TSM daily
operational reports (Oh, how I hate to repeat the same words twice). TDS
for Storage management Analysis is the TSM plug-in for TDS (TDS was base
OLAP and each Tivoli product was carrying its plug-in).

More than year ago the *paid* TDS product was replaced by Tivoli
Enterprise Data Warehouse which is freely included in all Tivoli products
enabled for it (Tivoli Enterprise; see more info on tme10 list). In the
light of the war between IBM and Oracle the database behind TEDW obviously
is DB2 with its OLAP Data Warehouse.

Exempt from ITSM v5.2 Announcement (EMEA Letter ZP03-0215):
" IBM TIVOLI STORAGE MANAGEMENT WAREHOUSE ENABLEMENT PACK
(available September 26, 2003)
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager integrates with IBM Tivoli Data Warehouse V1.2,
which  provides a centralized database to store historical data from
Tivoli applications. This integration can be leveraged via the IBM Tivoli
Storage Management Warehouse Enablement Pack (warehouse pack), a component
of IBM Tivoli Storage Manager."

Bottom line: if TDS is not already widely deployed in your enterprise,
forget about it. Use TEDW, it is really better and much easier to install
(though is not a piece of cake).

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

"Loon, E.J. van - SPLXM" <Eric-van.Loon AT KLM DOT COM>
02.09.2003 17:20