ADSM-L

Re: Client Security

2003-05-21 00:07:33
Subject: Re: Client Security
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 21:03:55 -0700
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Stapleton, Mark [mailto:stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM]
>Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 7:17 PM
>To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
>Subject: Re: Client Security

Actually I already know the lecture on passwords. I'm in the midst of giving
it to a group now.

>> Should Admin users only be those specified and not let the
>> node add one when it is created?
> A node *has* to have an admin ID and password when it is created.

By default TSM will create an administrative user (Nodename) but you can
specify NONE if you want. The reason I asked the question is to try and see
if anyone might be thinking the same thing I am. If you already know the
node name then all you have to do is guess the password. And as I mentioned,
I already know the password lecture, but that doesn't mean everyone abides
by it. If an administrative user is assigned to a specific group of
computers and the default is not created then someone has to guess 2 things.
And yes, if it's written down they don't have to guess anything.

My original post question was, is there a best practices document write-up
available someplace. I'm really looking for something that will back up what
I have decided to put in place without having to drag out the whole
Administrator Guide and thumb through the different areas in case I'm asked.

Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator
NT Systems Support Engineer
SAIC