ADSM-L

Re: Client Security

2003-05-30 04:50:01
Subject: Re: Client Security
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 00:49:36 +0300
There also other reasons *not* to create an admin on node registration -
to avoid confusion.
Using passwordaccess=generate the node is recycling its password
regularly. When the admin's password expires the human on next login is
asked to change it. What would be the chance to get it just the same as
generated one - zero.
Misled by same nodename and admin name the sysadmin is confused why he/she
can authenticate through dsmadmc but not through dsmc (if it comes to
that).

Another reason - usually we do not have separate sysadmins for each box.
It is more convinient to have one admin ID with "owner" access to the
nodes under his/her responsibility. Less admins provide both better
manageability and improved security.

Yet another security precaution - accepting too many defaults saves time
at the expense of making you more predictable. Combined with social
engineering, this can significantly lower your protection.

Open registration - I know, I know (and remember the recent thread on
licensing). But being more paranoid and not lazy enough, I prefer closed
registration and the arguments above are applicable for it.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

"Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
21.05.2003 07:03