ADSM-L

Re: Unable to load dsmcad.nlm or dsmc.nlm or Netware 6 server- Solution but not cause

2003-04-18 10:15:54
Subject: Re: Unable to load dsmcad.nlm or dsmc.nlm or Netware 6 server- Solution but not cause
From: Shannon Bach <SBach AT MGE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 09:14:52 -0500
Peter Hadikin wrote to the list the following;

I have a server that I am trying to load DSMCAD.NLM version 5.1.5.1.
 When I try to load the NLM I get a message similar to the following:

 I have re-installed the TSM software with no benefit.  There are no
 errors in the DSM error log.  The servers in question is a clustered
 server running Netware 6 and it did work with this software for at least
 10 days.  What is up with this???? Any ideas?
 Thanks, Peter

This same thing happened to me so I will tell you how we handled it.

Novell NetWare OS 5.6 was a TSM Client 5.1.0
The client server was running fine for several months.  Every six months it
is brought down for maintenance.  This time when bringing it back up, the
TSM client would not load, displaying the same error as above on the NW
console.  The NetWare Administrator then installed the newest client,
5.1.5.1, but client still would not load.  When looking on the Novell
website there was no mention of a problem with TSM.  When doing a search
with the exact error on NW console there was another issue that came up.
It seems the netdb.nlm did not automatically load when the rest of them
did.  When looking at our other running NW6 clients they all had netdb.nlm
loaded and they have not been brought down since upgrading.  We don't know
if this will eventually happen to all our NW6 clients with TSM client 5.1
and above or not.  The administrator put the netdb.nlm in some autoexec
thing (I'm  NetWare challenged) that automatically loads all the needed
extra NLM's and everything is now fine.  Don't know if others have run into
this problem but since there wasn't a solution on the list I thought to
post this just in case.

Shannon

Madison Gas & Electric Co.
Operations Analyst - Data Center Services
Office 608-252-7260
Fax 608-252-7098
e-mail sbach AT mge DOT com