ADSM-L

Re: urgent! server is down!

2003-03-12 07:24:21
Subject: Re: urgent! server is down!
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 07:23:37 -0500
>After a reboot yesterday tsm doesnt start. ...
>ANR0900I Processing options file dsmserv.opt.
>ANR000W Unable to open default locale message catalog, /usr/lib/nls/msg/C/.
>ANR0990I Server restart-recovery in progress.
>ANR9999D lvminit.c(1872): The capacity of disk '/dev/rtsmvglv11' has
>changed; old capacity 983040 - new capacity 999424.
> anyway I've never had to restore a db before. How do I go at it?

I would take a deep breath and stand back and think about that situation
first...  There's no good reason for a server to be running fine and
then fail to restart.  Did someone change something??  It's known as a
"time bomb", as when someone made a change perhaps weeks ago while the
server was running, external to the server, and then when the server
goes to restart and thus re-read config files and re-open files
according to their names (rather than prevailing inode usage), it
can't get anywhere.  The "locale" message really makes me wonder about
that: looks like someone changed the startup environment and its LANG
variable from en_US to C.  Or wacky/changed start-up scripts are being
used.  Consider the directory where you're sitting when you start the
server, and the viability of the start-up script.  Examine the timestamps
and contents of your dsmserv.opt and /var/adsmserv/ files to see if
someone has monkeyed with things.  Review your site system change log
to see if perhaps someone on the AIX side of things made an environmental
change that could have affected your server.

Remember - restarting the server correctly is more important than
restarting it quickly.  I would not even think of approaching a server
db restore until you've gotten to the bottom of what happened to the
structure of your environment, as such a restoral would only try to
restore into the possibly faulty environment.

  Richard Sims, BU