ADSM-L

Re: unload/reload db on diff.server (same library) -- disaster waiting to happen?

2003-03-10 09:32:21
Subject: Re: unload/reload db on diff.server (same library) -- disaster waiting to happen?
From: "Adam J. Boyer" <Adam.J.Boyer AT FRB DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 09:31:14 -0500
Hi Mark,

The command I used was:

TSMSERV> delete   filespace    node_name   /filespace_name

The deletion took several days, and actually never finished because I had
to kill it.  The reason is that the user got nervous and wants to make the
second copy of the data on disk is really  complete.  Expiration kicked off
several times throughout the deletion process, and the database utilization
decreased more than it does during an average expiration, but not nearly as
much as it increased during the initial backup.  Also, strangely when I
killed the expiration, it had already "deleted" 4,000,000 files, but when I
did a "q occ", this was not reflected in the number of files statistic,
which makes me wonder if filespace deletion is an atomic operation.

Thanks,
adam

                    "Stapleton,
                    Mark"                To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    <stapleto@BER        cc:
                    BEE.COM>             Subject:     Re: unload/reload db on
diff.server (same library) --
                    Sent by:             disaster waiting         to
happen?
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA
                    RIST.EDU>

                    03/09/2003
                    04:21 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

From: Adam J. Boyer [mailto:Adam.J.Boyer AT FRB DOT GOV]
> Due to some misunderstanding, an unnecessary 5 million files
> was backed up, bloating our database by about 15 GB.  I have
> since commenced deleting that filespace, but it looks like
> the delete is not reducing the database size nearly enough.
> So I am planning to do an unload/reload, and in order to
> eliminate downtime,
<snip>
> The only downside I can think of is that after the
> reorganized database is restored to the production server,
> all transactions made during the
> unload/reload will be lost.

Don't do it. You'll be spending months fixing it, and it'll never get
fixed. (Besides, an unload/load of the db won't get you what you want.)

What command did you use to delete the filespace? Did you run an
expiration after the deletion?

--
Mark Stapleton (mark.stapleton AT berbee DOT com)