ADSM-L

Re: DB Backup question re: Incremental vs. Full

2003-02-05 09:07:40
Subject: Re: DB Backup question re: Incremental vs. Full
From: Alan Davenport <Alan.Davenport AT SELECTIVE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 08:47:46 -0500
Thanks. That sets my mind at rest. I'm trying to shoehorn my maintenance
into a window and as our server farm grows this is getting more and more
difficult. For those who are curious, I have defined a script that will do
an incremental DB backup if the time is after 15:00 and if there is time (DB
backup starts before 15:00) it will do a full. Here is the script:

cancel expiration
select 1 from db where dayname(current_date)='Saturday'
if (rc_notfound) goto not_sat
issue message i 'Starting backup of the TSM database to the off-site tape
pool COPYVAULT.'
ba db t=f devc=cartvault wait=yes
if (rc_ok) goto db_done
goto retry
not_sat:
issue message i 'Starting backup of the TSM database to the tape pool
TAPEPOOL.'
select 1 from db where hour(current_time)>14
if (rc_ok) goto after_3PM
ba db t=f devc=cartridge wait=yes
if (rc_ok) goto db_done
goto retry
after_3PM:
issue message i 'Doing INCREMENTAL DB backup instead of a FULL backup due to
late hour.'
ba db t=i devc=cartridge wait=yes
if (rc_ok) goto db_done
goto retry
db_done:
issue message i 'Starting creation of disaster recovery plan.'
prepare planprefix=adsm.server.recvplan wait=yes
issue message i 'Starting backup of Volume History data.'
backup volhist
issue message i 'Starting backup of Device Config data.'
backup devconfig
issue message i 'Starting deletion of old Volume History records.'
del volhist todate=-21 type=all
issue message i 'Starting return of empty off-site tapes.'
run emptyvaultreturn
issue message i 'Starting process to change newly full COPYPOOL tapes to
off-site status.'
upd vol * access=offsite wherestgpool=copyvault wherestatus=full
whereaccess=readwrite
issue message i 'Starting reclamation of tapes less than 67% full.'
run startreclaim
issue message i 'Starting expiration of old data from the TSM database.'
expire i quiet=yes
exit
retry:
issue message e 'Database backup has FAILED! Will retry in 1 minute!!!'
issue message e 'Database backup has FAILED! Will retry in 1 minute!!!'
issue message e 'Database backup has FAILED! Will retry in 1 minute!!!'
issue message e 'Database backup has FAILED! Will retry in 1 minute!!!'
issue message e 'Database backup has FAILED! Will retry in 1 minute!!!'
del sch daily_maint3 t=a
def sch daily_maint3 t=a cmd='run daily_maint3' startt=now+0:01 active=y
perunits=onetime

   Take care,
       Al

Alan Davenport