ADSM-L

Re: System hung - bad disk - not switching to mirror

2003-01-02 20:15:59
Subject: Re: System hung - bad disk - not switching to mirror
From: Diana Noble <djk AT UMICH DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 20:15:24 -0500
The volume from last week contained storage pools and I was able to move the
data off all except one.  Todays disk problem was much worse.  I was unable to
access the disk at all.  I was able to restart the server successfully.  All
the db volumes on the disk came up offline and the mirrored copy was used.
Looking back at the activity log, when the problem occurred the TSM server did
switch over to the mirrored copy for all mirrored volumes, then hung.  No error
messages.  So at this point I'm not sure what went wrong, but next time I'll go
a head and restart.  This was my first experience losing a disk with db volumes
on it and since I couldn't access the activity log, I wasn't sure what TSM was
doing and I was cautious as I didn't want to corrupt my mirrored copy.  The
disk is definitely bad and is scheduled to be replaced tomorrow.  Hopefully
nothing else goes wrong before then.

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone offered.

Diana Noble