ADSM-L

Re: cash hit percentage questions

2002-12-31 09:42:48
Subject: Re: cash hit percentage questions
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 08:42:00 -0600
Gary,

You need to consider what's running on the system.  In general, TSM
maintenance activities should have a high hit ratio, but new incoming
files will lower the ratio.  That's because by definition, a "new" file
does not have a database entry and therefore MUST miss the cache.

Our system runs maintenance weekly and we reset the statistics just before
it starts.  All through the day while maintenance is running, the hit
ratio is 99+ percent.  After a week of backups but no maintenance, the
ratio is about 96-97 percent.  Just the nature of the beast.

I run a DB buffer pool of 128 MB on a 27 GB DB that's about 90% utilized.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator
Laitram Corporation

"Lee, Gary D." <GLEE AT BSU DOT EDU>