ADSM-L

Re: cash hit percentage questions

2002-12-31 09:50:01
Subject: Re: cash hit percentage questions
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 09:49:47 -0500
> TSM v4.2.1, sun 3500, solaris 2.8, 2gb memory, 288gb disk.
>
> Currently have a database of approximately 6.5gb at 77% utilization.
Dbbufsize
> is currently set at 192mb.  Cash hit starts out very good at 99-99.5% but
creeps
>  downward throughout a weeks run to around 97%.
>
> I have looked in the admin guide, and they recommend a cash hit ratio of
over 98
> %.  However, no matter what I try, I can never seem to hit it.
>
> Any suggestions welcome.

The decline over time suggests a memory leak. We are currently in the
process of applying service to a 4.2.1.9 server to fix a similar problem.
The most obvious suspect in our case is specific to OS/390 servers (it has
to do with the ASCII to EBCDIC code conversion needed in that environment).
However, some of the responses to my initial posting on our performance
problems made reference to fixes for other memory leaks.