ADSM-L

Re: TSM Policy Model

2002-12-16 21:09:52
Subject: Re: TSM Policy Model
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 20:09:02 -0600
On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 15:52, Mario Behring wrote:
> Can anybody give some advise on how to build a policy that uses minimal
> reclamation operations. I want to avoid the situation where there are
> several tapes registered as full with only 4% or 5% of real data recorded
> in it, the rest is eligible for reclamation.
>
> Does anyone has any documentation regarding this issue, or a model to
> follow ?

Easy. Here's one with no reclamation requirements at all:

#!/bin/bash
#
# run a q vol and parse for all volumes with <20% utilized space
# now run
#       move data <volname>

There's no way to limit or control the amount of time used to do the
move from within TSM, however. (You can script it.) That's why we have
reclamation; we can control the circumstance and resources used that
way.