ADSM-L

Re: VERITAS BMR (was CA - Brightstore Resource Manager for TSM)

2002-10-30 09:02:02
Subject: Re: VERITAS BMR (was CA - Brightstore Resource Manager for TSM)
From: Dirk Billerbeck <dirk.billerbeck AT GECITS-EU DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 14:56:20 +0100
Hello Mark,

as a look onto the VERITAS web site or a talk with some of their sales reps
reveals BMR for TSM won't be enhanced furthermore. The new (and totally
revamped AFAIK) version 4 is only available for NetBackup! You can still
buy BMR for TSM from Tivoli and support is available yet too, but who wants
to ride a dead horse?

I like the concept how BMR works but in my opinion the version 3.2.x isn't
worth its money. IBM and my company tried to implement it for one of our
great customers and it failed in almost every category! It crashed, it
didn't detect all the installed hardware and it wasn't able to restore all
necessary files (Windows NT/2000 clients, IBM and Compaq hardware, no
changes between backup and restore)! So we finally gave up. And that were
the same experiences that another of our customers had made more than a
year ago (in summer 2001)!

If I can't rely on a product for disaster recovery purposes why should I
spend any money for it?

IBM/Tivoli: Please, hurry to develop your own DR solution for TSM!! But one
that works!!!

Just my $0.02.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Met vriendelijke groeten,
With best regards,
Bien amicalement,

CU/2,
                Dirk Billerbeck

Dirk Billerbeck
GE CompuNet Kiel
Enterprise Computing Solutions
Am Jaegersberg 20, 24161 Altenholz (Kiel), Germany
Phone: +49 (0) 431 / 3609 - 117, Fax: +49 (0) 431 / 3609 - 190,
Internet: dirk.billerbeck @ gecits-eu.com

This email is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient,
you must not disclose or use the information contained in it.
If you have received this mail in error, please tell us
immediately by return email and delete the document.

stapleto AT BERBEE DOT [email protected] on 30.10.2002 04:13:42

Sent by: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU