ADSM-L

Re: Expiring Files on a Copy Storage pool

2002-10-06 14:34:10
Subject: Re: Expiring Files on a Copy Storage pool
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 21:32:01 +0300
TSM tracks the additional copies together with primary ones and treats
them according to copygroup rules. Only when primary copy expires the
additional one in the copypool will expire.
If an object is moved to a pool which is not backed up its backups do not
get deleted or expired. Simply new versions do not have backups.
Example:
1. copygroup mandates verexist=3 and we have pri1, pri2 and pri3 in
primary pool A (backed up) + copy1, copy2 and copy3 in the copypool C.
2. data is moved to primary pool B - now pri1-3 are in B and copy1-3 are
still in C
3. new version pri4 is made in B during node backup. Primary pool B is not
backed up so no copy4 is created
4. expiration deletes pri1 & copy1
5. after pri5 is created, pri2&copy2 expire, etc. ...

Now if primary pool B is also backed up to copypool C:
- after step 2 nothing happens - pri1-3 already have copies in C and they
are tracked for the objects, not for the stgpool A
- after step 3 when B is backed up to C an additional copy (copy4) is
created only for pri4 object

But if primary pool A is backed to copypool C and primary pool B is backed
up to copypool D you will end up with copy1a,2a,3a in C and
copy1b,2b,3b,4b in D. And will have to wait until 1-3a copies expire.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Gerhard Rentschler <g.rentschler AT RUS.UNI-STUTTGART DOT DE>
02.10.2002 17:35