ADSM-L

Re: Does anyone implement Space Mgr + NFS on windows + AIX successfully?

2002-09-26 10:37:21
Subject: Re: Does anyone implement Space Mgr + NFS on windows + AIX successfully?
From: asr AT UFL DOT EDU
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 10:15:51 -0400
=> On Thu, 26 Sep 2002 19:31:03 +0800, Molly YM Pui <puimym AT HK1.IBM DOT COM>
said:

> My problem encountered: When a NFS Client (haven't installed HSM Client) is
> trying to access files that are previously migrated to the tape library, the
> files are unaccessible.  For instance, when using MSWord to open a .doc
> file, the file would not be opened and the application hangs.  When checking
> from the AIX Server end, it indicates that the file was retrieved from the
> tape successfully, in another words, no error is reported from TSM nor
> Tivoli Space Manager.  .

What NFS client are you using on the windows box?

It's my bet that the client has an unreasonable timeout, and gives up.  If you
even _can_ set that timeout, set it for (say) three times the amount of time
you think is reasonable for a retrieval, and see if that helps.

Real NFS implementations quietly block on read there, and the "timeout" is
usually the human getting impatient and killing the process.  For the patient
computer, the delay is not an issue.

- Allen S. Rout
- HSM for DB/2 load files and logs is pretty nice.