ADSM-L

Re: Does anyone implement Space Mgr + NFS on windows + AIX successfully?

2002-09-26 10:10:51
Subject: Re: Does anyone implement Space Mgr + NFS on windows + AIX successfully?
From: Michelle DeVault <adsmigmo AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 06:50:43 -0700
I had the problem you described, but with AIX
participants (AIX server, AIX clients).

The problem is that the client machine (that has the
nfs mount) tries to access a file that is HSM'd.  The
"wait" messages that you would see if you tried to
access the file from the server are not passed to the
client, hence the client doesn't know to wait for the
file.  All it sees is the stub file, which it knows is
not a complete file.  It can't get the whole file
immediately, so it poops an error to you.  If you
tried accessing the file again from the client, it
would probably work, since HSM has probably had time
to recall the file.

Anyway, what I did to solve the problem was to make
those nfs mounts "hard mounts" (as opposed to a soft
mount) on the clients.  Not sure how this relates to
nfs on a windows client - but a hard mount will
continue to try the mount request until the server
responds.  A soft mount will just return an error if
it can't get the file immediately.  Of course, you
also run the risk of hosing up your client if there is
a true problem with the nfs server, the hard mount
request will keep trying and will take forever to time
out.

Check out your nfs documentation for your client, see
if there is a similar parameter.

M.