ADSM-L

Re: Virtual Volumes...

2002-09-05 08:57:49
Subject: Re: Virtual Volumes...
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <DWIGHT.E.COOK AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 05:54:14 -0700
This is a real catch-22
BIG virtual volumes means less tsm data base space tied up tracking tons of
little virtual volumes (and files on the remote server) BUT big virtual
volumes also means lots of data transfered over the network during
reclamation (sigh)

Also remember, a virtual volume is only as big as the (A) current work
process (B) defined max capacity

So even if you define a maxcap of 10 GB, if you do something like a "backup
stg" and that process only writes 2 GB, then the virtual volume will be
closed at 2 GB.  (no additional data will be written to that ~virtual
volume~)

In general, if you know you will be putting large amounts of data off to
virtual volumes that is likely to all expire together, such as a backup of
an archive storage pool that holds large DB archives, then really big
virtual volumes is the way to go since there will be very little reclamation
ever needed (since the data is likely to expire in large sets).

just my 2 cents worth...

Dwight