ADSM-L

Re: Virtual Volumes...

2002-09-09 06:42:19
Subject: Re: Virtual Volumes...
From: Suad Musovich <s.musovich AT AUCKLAND.AC DOT NZ>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 22:22:33 +1200
We are planning a similar implementation by using 2nd server
specifically for clients with small files (desktop/workstations) as it
is choking our main server.

The below comment about tracking a lot of smaller volumes is trivial
compared with the cost of larger volumes on network load.
A restoration of files spanning multiple large volumes will be even more
painful.

How big is the storage pool going to be?  Are you tailoring the
implementation for backup, or restoration?

Why not have 2 virt volume pools using diffent sizes reflecting
small/large occupancy.

Also, create it's own storage pool hierarchy on the remote server.
This means you can buffer incoming virt volumes in it's own diskpool.
If you can find an easy/automated way of reclaiming virtvols on tape to
disk, on the remote server, then reclaiming on the virtual server, you
can take the predictable load off scarce tape drive resource.

Suad