ADSM-L

Re: Database backup retentions question

2002-08-16 12:51:13
Subject: Re: Database backup retentions question
From: Don France <DFrance-TSM AT ATT DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 09:43:58 -0700
Beware there are several other considerations to be made...
1.  If using copy pools, and/or offsite storage, you will want to ensure
your re-use delay matches the db retention (else you may have one without
the other, which could make the whole of DR recovery impossible);

2.  DRM has several parameters;  if using DRM, it (MOVE DRM) does the
expiration of db backup tapes -- and RPfiles retention becomes an added
retention parm, with this feature.

Typically, you'd want to keep DB backups long enough to get thru a
long-weekend (4 to 14 seems to be the range most folks settle on);  hence,
you'd want to keep all the other data/media that the oldest DB backup
references -- so they still work!

Don France
Technical Architect -- Tivoli Certified Consultant
Tivoli Storage Manager, WinNT/2K, AIX/Unix, OS/390
San Jose, Ca
(408) 257-3037
mailto:don_france AT att DOT net

Professional Association of Contract Employees
(P.A.C.E. -- www.pacepros.com)