ADSM-L

Re: Database backup retentions question

2002-08-16 12:43:25
Subject: Re: Database backup retentions question
From: Bill Boyer <bill.boyer AT VERIZON DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 12:27:55 -0400
At one of our sites we do this as part of our daily TSM server backup
procedure. These are some lines from a server script that does all the
storage pool backups and starting migration. Using this, if the DB Backup
doesn't work, I'm not deleting any of my previous backups. Scheduleing it as
a command will after a time remove all but the last DB backup copy if you're
not watching closely enough.

If you're using a product like Autovault to manage you vaulting procedure,
Autovault handles maintaining the specified number of DB backups and DB
Snapshot backups itself. You don't need to worry about doing it yourself. If
the DBBackup fails for a day...Autovault just won't delete any old copies.

ba db type=full devclass=3590 scratch=yes wait=yes
/* If the backup worked, then delete volhistory...                  */
if(rc_ok) -
del volh t=dbb tod=today-8

Bill Boyer
DSS, Inc.