ADSM-L

Troubles, troubles, troubles.

2002-06-06 08:10:44
Subject: Troubles, troubles, troubles.
From: Rick Harderwijk <r.harderwijk AT FACTOTUM DOT NL>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 14:11:12 +0200
Hi all,

One of my servers is giving me a major headache at the moment. Every morning
when I come in, I check, as anyone does, I presume, whether all scheduled
backups completed succesfully. The past couple of days, one of my servers
doesn't complete, nor does it fail. Or so it tells me, because the result of
the scheduled backup is '(?)' . Nice, isn't it?

Since I'm not going to lay awake all night because of one backup, I decided
the first time it happened, to just let it go. 'It'll all be better
tomorrow,', I told myself. Unfortunately, it didn't get better. Nope, the
same thing happened the next night, and the one after.

So, this morning, I started to check if there was a serious glitch. So I
checked the dsmsched.log on the client. Strange thing... it sent a file,
then it gets a new schedule. It feels as if something is missing here. Next,
I checked the dsierror.log. Three entries here:

06-06-2002 03:52:27 sessOpen: Error 137 from signon authentication.
06-06-2002 03:53:30 sessOpen: Error 137 from signon authentication.
06-06-2002 03:54:33 sessOpen: Error 137 from signon authentication.

Messages like that make me pop out a fresh browser window, call up
www.adsm.org and go looking for that message... as it turns out 'this
message just is there, can be ignored and will go away in the next couple of
upgrades'. So, not very helpful.... *but* it also tells me this message
occurs when the Scheduler service starts. Now there's something I can do
something with.

Opening up ye olde Eventlog on that same W2k-client tells me that indeed, at
that time, the Scheduler Service was started - it had stopped just before,
and since we've had some problems with earlier versions with services just
quitting on us, the services are automatically restarted when they go down.

As it turns out, the backup stopped when the service crashed and when the
service came back, it just got a new schedule and the backup in progress
stopped and never continued.

It seems to me that all I have to fix is that darned Scheduler Service.

But where to start?
Why does it stop?
Where to look for more clues?

And ofcourse: why me? :-)

Anyone care to join me and hunt this bugger down to fix it once and for all?
You're most welcome - I feel like I'm on a dead end trail... and that
headache is keeping me from thinking clearly...

Kind regards,

Rick Harderwijk
Systems Administrator
Factotum Media BV