ADSM-L

Re: opinion on AIT vs LTO and 3570 tape technology?

2002-06-04 09:57:50
Subject: Re: opinion on AIT vs LTO and 3570 tape technology?
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 16:54:02 +0300
--> ... in these days where disk space is not much more expensive than tape
space.
I would disagree on part. LTO is sligthly better than disks when measured
I would disagree on part. LTO is sligthly better than disks when measured
in TB/sq.m. but does not require those many kVAs disks need. Disks require
about 30W/drive + some extra for controllers, etc. Also this electricity
transforms into heat. So you need initial investment for big UPSes and
conditioners and they also have to be counted for floorspace. EMC
Symmetrix or IBM ESS require 20-30kVA UPS and also corresponding
batteries.
Thus again - it depends.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant