ADSM-L

Re: opinion on AIT vs LTO and 3570 tape technology?

2002-06-03 07:09:12
Subject: Re: opinion on AIT vs LTO and 3570 tape technology?
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 06:07:07 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
Lisa Cabanas
> I had briefly thought about HSM, but the enormous number of files and
> directories makes it sound like a really bad idea to me.  Any thoughts?

The HSM issue is not a matter of the number of files and directories, but
rather an issue of frequency of access. If the files are generated and then
rarely accessed, HSM would make sense, given if the following is true:

1. The customer is *really* tight on disk space, and
2. The files are infrequently accessed, but need to be immediately
available.

HSM is a more complex issue if you're dealing with Windows client boxes.
You'll have to look at a solution like OTG DiskXtender for non-UNIX clients.

HSM actually doesn't make a lot of sense, in these days where disk space is
not much more expensive than tape space.

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MSCE