ADSM-L

Re: ADSM server restore

2002-04-03 11:08:55
Subject: Re: ADSM server restore
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 11:02:07 -0500
This would work, but it will require TSM to be shut down for the duration of
step 1 daily.

What you really need for TSM recovery at D/R:

1) installable system image of your AIX box. We use mksysb, run roughly
monthly or after AIX software upgrades.
2) filesystem layout of the TSM volume group (this should NOT be in the AIX
rootvg!) Our technique is to use savevg (IBM AIX utility) to save the
metadata for the TSM volume group, but exclude the data; this gets saved to
/DR/backup.adsmvg and is picked up by the mksysb used for step 1.
3) current TSM device config file and volume history file. We run this to a
floppy with doswrite at the end of our nightly backup process.
4) current TSM database backup. We run this nightly as the very last step in
copying our data for off-site storage.

To recover:

1) Boot/install from the mksysb (or sysback, if you go that way) and recover
your AIX environment
2) Restvg from /DR/adsmvg.backup; this will recreate the empty tsm
filesystems.
3) copy the device config and volume history files from the floppy to the
proper locations in the AIX system (where your dsmserv.opt says they belong)
4) edit the device config file to match the local environment (we used to go
from an STK 9710 library called 'wolf' with 9 DLT tape drives at home to a
manual library called 'wolf' with 6 DLT tape drives at the hot site)
5) Not really required with current versions, but not a bad idea -- run
dsmfmt to format your log and database files.
6) Restore the TSM database. dsmserv restore db devc=<your device class>
vol=<database backup volume> commit=yes (We strap the floppy to the database
backup daily, and this process assumes no volhist recovery, just to be on
the safe side)
7) Start TSM. Make the same library/device changes you made in the device
config file. Mark all readw/reado tapes as 'unavailable'; mark all offsite
tapes as 'readonly'.
8) As time permits, dsmfmt and install the rest of your TSM disk pools and
modify your schedules to match the D/R hotsite reality.

We've done this twice a year now for six years with no problems whatever;
feel free to contact me if you have additional questions.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc
kauffmant AT nibco DOT com