ADSM-L

Re: ADSM server restore

2002-04-03 09:54:20
Subject: Re: ADSM server restore
From: Justin Derrick <jderrick AT CANADA DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 09:54:11 -0500
Hi Bruno...

A few things...

1)  Upgrade immediately, if not sooner.  ADSM (version 3.1) is very old and
is unsupported, and if you encounter problems, you'll need to call on a
highly paid consultant who remembers all the sillyness that came along with
3.1.  If you're running 3.7 or higher (when it was renamed to TSM) and
called it ADSM out of habit, you can optionally skip this step.  *grin*

2)  Deleting and reconfiguring drive and libraries at the operating system
level is fine -- but don't forget that you need to redefine the drives and
libraries inside ADSM to match the new reality you just created.

3)  Your step 4 needs about 10 additional steps as ADSM restores never seem
to go as smoothly as you'd like.  One hint though...  If you halt ADSM when
you're performing your filesystem backups, and your database and log
filesystems (as well as any disk storagepools you have) are files in a JFS
filesystem, you can usually get away with having your tar or in AIX's case,
mksysb back up the files, and restore them on your new system without too
much trouble.  However, you still need to redefine drives inside TSM as per
my note above.

Good luck, and the only thing I can really recommend is testing your
restore until you get it right, at least twice!

-JD.