ADSM-L

Re: LAN Free backups

2002-03-07 20:09:42
Subject: Re: LAN Free backups
From: Angelo DeAngelis <storage4san AT WORLDNET.ATT DOT NET>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 20:10:47 -0500
Joe,

Are you seeing the Agent make communications to the Server when recycled ?
Is the Server receiving the mount request from the Agent ?

Any changes to the device configurations on the server that effect the Agent
(other server)  need to recycle agent.

If you want to send portion of activity log and oter messages, we can take a
look see.   Are the device names on the Client the same as the Server ?

What levels of TSM?

Performance note :
If the client supports SHAREDMEM / NANEPIPES  these in my testing have
provided the best performance especialy where the client and Agent talk
there is no TCP/IP overhead.

Biggest Advantage I see todate is that all that big I/O ( Data Bases ) are
removed from the LAN traffic and other tentents act better who need LAN.
The other big difference is that during a LAN backup the client is somewhat
working hard ( 35% - 40% or more ) moving data using IP stacks.

Performed testing where I had four drives writing to 3590 @ native speeds +
during a DB2 run where the engine was 79% idle during the run.   This is the
biggest advantage to date for LAN-Free.  Predicting performance over the SAN
is another animal for another day.

My two cents.