ADSM-L

Re: TSM 4.2.1.7 Upgrade-

2001-12-03 16:31:43
Subject: Re: TSM 4.2.1.7 Upgrade-
From: George Lesho <GLesho AT AFCE DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 15:18:03 -0600
I think the readme for the install includes instructions to update the
Atape and atldd (if applicable) to the newest version...
George Lesho
AFC Enterprises

Kason Leung <kason.leung AT UCOP DOT EDU>@VM.MARIST.EDU> on 12/03/2001 03:00:26
PM

To:   ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc:    (bcc: George Lesho/Partners/AFC)
Fax to:

We upgraded from 3.7.3.6 to 4.2.1.7 on AIX last week.

For the most part, the process was pretty straightforward. Back up the
devconfig info, back up the volhist info, back up the dsmserv.opt file, and
back up the dsmserv.dsk file. Do a full database backup, then tar up your
existing TSM installation (undoing a 4.x migration involves reinstallation
of the previous version and a reload of the database). Then do the install.

4.2.1.7 requires 4.2.1.0 to be in place, so be sure to download the patch
that takes TSM to 4.2.1.0, as well as the 4.2.1.7 patch.

The AIX migration procedure didn't copy in the tivoli.tsm.client.cert
package (contains the TSM license files), so we had to install that just
before we started relicensing TSM.

Our only real problem was losing control of the tape drives afterwards. We
have a MagStar library with 6 of 16 3590E drives allocated to Unix use, and
it was, for lack of better way to phrase it, operating in a different
reality. We eventually got past that problem by installing the most current
drivers for the tape drives and the tape library, even though the drivers
we had in there already surpassed the minimum version levels TSM called
for. Apparently upgrading the drivers is strongly recommended when
leapfrogging over as many versions as we did.

Good luck.

Kason Leung
Systems Programmer II
University of California