ADSM-L

Re: Server Database Performance

2001-11-08 11:43:28
Subject: Re: Server Database Performance
From: "Richard L. Rhodes" <rhodesr AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 11:40:15 -5
On 8 Nov 2001, at 10:29, Seay, Paul wrote:
> Based on numbers that I have heard, you are looking at as much as a day.  It
> depends on your disk subsystem speed.  Just be cause it is EMC does not mean
> it is fast.  It must be laid out properly and not all EMC disk is created
> equal.

Absolutely!

You must trace your disks as you see them at the OS back to the Simm
and onto hypervolumes.  It's possible that what the OS sees as
separate disks could reside on just a few physical drives.  Even if
your db is spread across emc physical drives, are other
applications/systems using hypervolumes on the same physical
drives.In other words, you could be in contention with other systems.
  I assume your db grew to it's current size.  It may need to be
spread across more physical drives.

EMC sales people sell their systems as if you never have to be
concerned about how the backend is layed out - they are wrong.

Rick