ADSM-L

Re: Server Database Performance

2001-11-12 09:56:01
Subject: Re: Server Database Performance
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 16:54:43 +0200
Wanda and Jeff are right - you have to look at all those things and
especially to %tm_act problem.
But I will bet also on what Paul pointed - single FE card is simply not
enough. If you are unable to put Gigabit Ethernet get at least one or three
more FE cards and make an EtherChannel or subdivide somehow the LAN.

Back to %tm_act and disks:
You pointed 88 x 1 gig FILES, right? And those files are on same filesystem
--> same LUN ? So TSM is issuing up to 88 I/Os in parallel just to be
queued later at the SCSI/FC adapter and/or LUN and/or spindles in EMC ?!?
queued later at the SCSI/FC adapter and/or LUN and/or spindles in EMC ?!?
I would dedicate at least 4 different LUNs ensuring they are on different
physical disks inside EMC (I know how to do this only on IBM ESS), would
create few (less than 10 or even less than 5) logical volumes on each LUN,
and use the raw devices instead of getting filesystem overhead and
journaling. For the latter you have to care for MIRRORWRITE DB and
MIRRORWRITE LOG.
I am not a performance guru and cannot say is 32 a good number of DB
volumes (as Jeff pointed) or not. But you can also have a look is the AIX
hdisk(s) device containing DB volumes the only one overloaded. What about
the staging area disk pool(s)? Is it made of file volumes (I mean
devclass=disk volname=/TSM_DISK_FS/volXXX) or raw volumes (/dev/rhdiskXYZ)?
What is the usage pattern there?

The N(!)etwork issue:
can you remember what was 6 months ago - was again 500 GB/night or just 300
GB which slowly grew up. many of my customers are experiencing problems
that users simply do not delete useless data. They keep 3 years old mail
with the attachments, the message with 20-30 megs presentation they just
got was forwarded to whole division (but the forwarding user keeps both
received copy and the one in "Sent" folder), another 5 meg Word file is
saved under new name after minor update, ...., etc.
So at that time you were able to fit 300 GB in 8-10 hour and is normal to
be unable to fit current 50-60 % more in same backup window.

Just some thoughts.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Mubashir Farooqi <Mfarooqi AT WORLDBANK DOT ORG> on 07.11.2001 21:08:44