ADSM-L

ACSLS, library sharing and SAN

2001-10-29 16:15:39
Subject: ACSLS, library sharing and SAN
From: Dmitri Pasyutin <pasyutin AT CLUB-INTERNET DOT FR>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 21:57:37 +0100
Hi fellow TSMers,

I use an ACSLS (STK 9360) library with my TSM server (4.2.1 on AIX). It had
been great news for me to hear that as of v4.2.0 TSM supports ACSLS library
sharing, and now SAN data transfer with ACSLS as of v4.2.1. Still, after
thinking about it many times, I still can't figure out why this came so
late. Sharing of SCSI STK libraries has been supported as of v3.7, but not
ACSLS. However, with its (100%-software) ACSSI interface, TSM controls
an ACSLS robot just as it would a SCSI one. There seems to be no technical
reason why an ACSLS robot could not be shared between multiple servers, i.e.
I can't see how it can be related to hardware or the physical device driver.
And even now with SAN support, a third-party product like Gresham's EDT is
required as the interface between the library and the storage agent. Why?
Can someone enlighten me on the ACSLS sharing issue? What is EDT's exact
role in lan-free data transfer? Also, if someone has set up an ACSLS library
for SAN using EDT, I would very much like to hear about your experiences.
Thanks in advance.

Yours truly,

--
Dmitri PASYUTIN