ADSM-L

Re: TSM Server v4.2.1

2001-10-29 16:32:58
Subject: Re: TSM Server v4.2.1
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 13:30:02 -0800
>Andy,
>
>Thanks so much for the complete update on this.  While I have
>not seen any
>of these problems I very much appreciate the fact that you
>take the time to
>explain what is going on to us.

I'm also appreciative of the fact that someone from Tivoli is keeping us up
to date on these problems. Why it's Andy I don't know, maybe nobody is will
to take the heat. I would have thought the people at level 2 should have
called me by now with an update.

I have seen all of these problems and more. Sure they might be inter-related
with one of the other problems, unfortunately to me they are still huge
problems.

Just so you all know, I am usually an easy going guy, it takes a lot to set
me off. In the case of this version of software it did the trick. I am not a
programmer but I do know how diffucult your tasks are. However I would like
to say I have been on the testing end of delivering software to the
government and I do know that we had procedures in place to test specific
functions to their fullest. If you're supposed to have facilities that have
signed up to beta test this stuff I can only say it looks like someone
didn't do a very good job or testing with my specific hardware wasn't done.
Last time I checked a 3494 and an RS/6000 was IBM hardware so that doesn't
make sense.

I will take the heat and be the jerk on this one. For the life of me I can't
see how the 2, and I prefer to use the word HUGE, problems I have made it
out the door. I cannot get database backups done....to wit:

10/29/01 12:40:41     ANR0985I Process 7 for DATABASE BACKUP running in the
BACKGROUND completed with completion state FAILURE at 12:40:41.

I have 6 drives all of which are online and plenty of scratch tapes, yet
still this simple process fails when absolutely nothing else is going on.

Backup disk is still waiting to mount this volume:

       2 Backup Storage Pool  Primary Pool NOTES_DPOOL, Copy Pool
OFFSITE_POOL,
                               Files Backed Up: 0, Bytes Backed Up: 0,

                               Unreadable Files: 0, Unreadable Bytes: 0.

                               Current Physical File (bytes): 745,566,208
                                Waiting for mount of output volume U00077
(3735 seconds).
I actually cancelled this process and it's still out there.

Migrations, backup tape and backup disk keep failing because mount points
are not available since processes are using all the drives. The TSM server
crashes every few days. If a tape doesn't unload from the drive TSM
continues to say that drive is available. Far as I can tell I have no way of
getting my TSM server back to any state that you could call usable, at least
I doubt it with all the dbbackups that have failed the past days. It's been
more than 4 days, 3 weeks to be exact, since I upgraded so I can forget
about going back to some form of 4.1 that works. I'm at the mercy of Tivoli
support and can only pray my system doesn't blow up before I get a fix that
works.

Again, thanks for the update. I hope someone calls me the minute this
fixtest is available to load.

Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator
NT Systems Support Engineer