ADSM-L

Re: Server out of data storage space

2001-10-03 21:38:51
Subject: Re: Server out of data storage space
From: Len Boyle <SNOLEN AT VM.SAS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 21:30:28 EDT
In article <005201c14c1e$68f6d020$1902a8c0@lipstr>, "Kelly J. Lipp"
<lipp AT STORSOL DOT COM> says:

>Years ago there was a problem with communication between the client and
>server.  The client would tell the server the file was a certain size and
>then proceed to send a larger file.  Most often happened with compressed
>files being compressed again by dsmc (compress yes option).  I know this was
>fixed but I don't know if the fix was on the client or on the server.
>
>Did you recently change something on the client?
>
>Kelly J. Lipp

Hello Kelly

I do not think that this problem was fixed. I believe that most folks
just stopped using the cache option.

It would be nice if IBM/TIVOLI would fix this by allowing the server
to hold up data flow long enought to release some cached space or
move to the next storage pool.Andy, Mike can you tell us if we
should request this or is it in the offical request list?

In the mean time there appears to be a new option in the latest client
level which might help some folks.

There is now an option to allow one to define a pattern for files that
will not be compressed. So one can exclude the .zip .gz etc files.
At least on the windows platform.
len