ADSM-L

Scratching empty tapes

2001-08-30 08:32:04
Subject: Scratching empty tapes
From: Wolfgang Herkenrath <w.herkenrath AT LVR DOT DE>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 14:31:36 +0100
Hi *SM'ers,

TSM 3.7.0.0 on AIX

I'm testing TSM 3.7 on AIX. Until now TSM run's on MVS.
I have defined one sequential Storagepool, which is connected with a 3494 ATL.
The maximum Scratch Volumes are set to 45.
There is one client defined.

Every day I checked the number of volumes in the Storage Pool and wonder why so
much volumes are needed.
I checked it and wonder. At the Storage Pool are 49 volumes. 37 of these
volumes have the status 'empty'.

Count TSM only the volumes wich are 'full' or 'filling' when it checks the
'maximum scratch volumes'? I think normaly it must say 'hey dude, storage pool
is full'.

If the storage pool needs a volume, take it first the 'empty' volumes or
scratch tapes?

If I define a second storage pool, is it able to get a 'empty' volume from the
other pool?

Is it possible to change the status of the 'empty' volumes from private to
scratch with automation or must I do it manually?

At Administrator's Guide I can't found a answer.

TIA

Wolfgang