ADSM-L

Re: Backupsets

2001-08-21 12:56:16
Subject: Re: Backupsets
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 12:57:36 -0400
can you select files within the TSM gui to restore from a backupset?
  (I only could restore the whole bs)

I don't know how to do it from the GUI, but you can do it (awkwardly) from
the client command line.  Start the command line, type HELP, follow
directions to see help for RESTORE BACKUPSET.   (or rtfm)

where are the volumes per bs described?
  (is it only the volumehistory? -  we usually clear the volumehistory after
90 days, since it grows very large)

Yes, they are tracked only in the volhistory.  I don't think that a DELETE
VOLHISTORY TYPE=ALL will delete backupset records; but test it to be sure.
You can always change your DELETE command to be more selective.  You could
have a script that runs DELETE VOLHIST ....TYPE=STGNEW, then DELETE VOLHIST
...TYPE=STGDELETE, that would clear out most of the records.

.
Andy Raibecks sql info does not cover the backupset tables
   (I only found table "backupsets" - are there more relevant)

Andy's document was written (I think) at ADSM V3.1  Lots of new tables have
been added since.  You can get a list of all tables/columns for your OWN
server level with:
SELECT * FROM SYSCAT.TABLES
SELECT * FROM SYSCAT.COLUMNS
SELECT * FROM SYSCAT.ENUMTYPES

which server level is recommended for using backupsets?

I don't have much experience with BACKUPSETS, but I know there is a bug in
the EXPIRATION of backupsets that is not fixed until 4.1.2 (or maybe 4.1.3,
not sure).

----
Stefan Holzwarth
Stefan Holzwarth
ADAC e.V. (Rechenzentrum, Produktionsplanung und Organisation)
Am Westpark 8, 81373 München Tel.: (089) 7676-5212, Fax: (089) 76768924