ADSM-L

Re: Terminated sessions

2001-08-20 19:41:27
Subject: Re: Terminated sessions
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 18:41:51 -0500
Geoffrey,

We use archives similarly.

The questions I have are these:

1. Is anyone else doing a large number of archives on one specific day?

Our main CAD server runs an archive job at 1:00 am on Sunday morning that
sends 145,000 files totalling 40 GB to our TSM server. Takes 5-6 hours but
runs successfully - now that the Archive Link switch is set properly.

2. Are those archives done by way of a .cmd file?

No. They run via an ordinary scheduled client job. The paths to be archived
and the management class to apply are in the archive job definition.

3. Does anyone have a better idea on how to run archives?

Well, approximately 1/4 of all the data in my system is archives. That's
about 2 TB out of 8 TB.
We've seen where the archive job will fail if one path in a list of paths
is missing or if it denies access.  For example, we had some NT boxes that
were supposed to archive "C:\my documents" and "D:\CAD files" in that
order.  Every PC had "D:\CAD files" but a few didn't have "C:\my
documents".  On those PCs, the entire archive job failed even though the
second path was valid.

Where I have a lot of similar machines, I create a group archive schedule
and grab archives from about a dozen machines via one schedule.
For oddball machines I specify an archive schedule for just that machine -
our NT cluster's virtual servers are an example.  The virtual server hosted
by the cluster's G: drive is unique on our network - so it has its own
archive schedule.
Our archive subsystem has 12 GB of disk pool upstream consisting of 24
volumes of 500 MB each.  Seems to work OK.

Hope this helps.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator
Laitram Corporation