ADSM-L

Re: TDP for SQL Server

2001-08-08 07:55:14
Subject: Re: TDP for SQL Server
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 07:46:51 -0400
Thomas,

Look here:

  Product:     Tivoli Data Protection for Microsoft SQL
  FTP Site:    ftp.software.ibm.com
  Directory:
/storage/tivoli-storage-management/patches/agents/ntsql/1.1.2/
  File:        IC26111_01.EXE
  Version:     1.1.2.01

This version will skip "tempdb" for SQL 7 servers.
The new version, TDP for SQL 2.2.0 also skips "tempdb".

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

"It's a beautiful day.  Don't let it get away."  -- Bono

                    Thomas Denier
                    <Thomas.Denier@MAI       To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    L.TJU.EDU>               cc:
                    Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:     TDP for SQL Server
                    Dist Stor Manager"
                    <[email protected].

                    08/07/2001 03:25
                    PM
                    Please respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist Stor
                    Manager"

We have version 1.1 of TDP for Microsoft SQL Server installed on
several client systems. One of the more irritating peculiarities
of this software is that it attempts to back up the tempdb database
when executing a command like 'sqldsmc /backupfull:*'. This causes
an error because tempdb does not support backup or restore operations.
I remember reading that some of the more recent levels of the product
will skip tempdb when asked to backup all databases. What level of
the product introduced this improvement? Is this level available as
an upgrade for 1.1, or do we have to purchase it as a new product?