ADSM-L

Re: ANR7804I mystery

2001-07-27 08:38:26
Subject: Re: ANR7804I mystery
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 08:39:03 -0400
>After I got all this fixed up, I rebooted and went to start TSM manually
>because the startup script was failing.  I had no filesystem errors on that
>boot as far as I can remember, and I was watching carefully.  On running
>./dsmserv, I got this error:
>
>ANR7804I Unable to lock dsmserv.lock in this directory. - Resource
>temporarily unavailable
>I looked in the messages manual, and found some information specific to AIX
>and HP-UX under ANR7804, but that was do with having a server already
>running, which was not the case.

Lesley - You don't specify, but I would assume that your system boot initiation
         files invoke the TSM server, which would account for the prior
instance.  Though that initial instance was either delayed or non-functional
(you could not enter into an administrative session) the process itself would be
there.  In dropping the operating system to single user mode that should have
disposed of the stifled initial process.

Every time I have encountered that message (thankfully, few), there has been
a prior server process in existence, which had to be dealt with.

  Richard Sims, BU