ADSM-L

ANR7804I mystery

2001-07-27 04:05:41
Subject: ANR7804I mystery
From: "Walker, Lesley R" <lesley.walker AT EDS DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 20:06:14 +1200
TSM 3.7.3 on Solaris, with Veritas Volume Manager.

First I had some nasty filesystem problems, which were caused by somebody
(not me!) installing some software which panicked and rebooted several
times.  I have a mirrored rootdisk, and the volumes got out of sync and
/etc/vfstab had the wrong information in it (and that's another question,
but I won't ask it here).

After I got all this fixed up, I rebooted and went to start TSM manually
because the startup script was failing.  I had no filesystem errors on that
boot as far as I can remember, and I was watching carefully.  On running
./dsmserv, I got this error:

ANR7804I Unable to lock dsmserv.lock in this directory. - Resource
temporarily unavailable

I went to my other TSM servers to look up the error, and got
"No help text could be found for this message".

I looked in the messages manual, and found some information specific to AIX
and HP-UX under ANR7804, but that was do with having a server already
running, which was not the case.

I looked for dsmserv.lock on my test lab server, couldn't find it anywhere,
either with the server up or down.

I then thought, Doh! I probably have to restore the database, I'll do that
on Monday.

Then for no particularly good reason, I took the box down to single user
mode and then back up again.  I didn't do anything else, and I certainly
didn't restore the database.

This time the startup script worked, and TSM is running happily.  Querying
the actlog shows a normal startup, no recovery activity or anything.

Anyone have any idea what REALLY happened when I got that ANR7804I?

--
Lesley Walker
Lesley Walker