ADSM-L

Re: Retrieving Associated Volumes from Off-Site

2001-07-27 07:51:54
Subject: Re: Retrieving Associated Volumes from Off-Site
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 14:38:03 +0300
I am just a beginner but what I read in the docs was that you have to do it
in REVERSE order!!!
Have a look at RedBook SG24-4877 "Tivoli Storage Management Concepts" (it
can be downloaded from http://www.redbooks.ibm.com).

At page 88 (p.110 in the PDF) you can read:
"       5.4.2 Reclamation of offsite volumes
Care must be taken in reclaiming offsite copy storage volumes. Tivoli
Storage Manager cannot physically move the data from one of these volumes
to another, because they are in a vault, not available in the library.
Tivoli Storage Manager manages reclamation for an offsite copy pool by
obtaining the active files from a primary storage pool or from an onsite
volume of a copy pool. These files are then written to a new volume in the
copy pool, and the database is updated. A message is then issued that an
offsite volume was reclaimed. The new volume will get moved to the offsite
location, and the offsite volumes, whose active data it has combined, will
be moved back to the scratch pool onsite, when the reuse delay parameter
has been satisfied. "

Thus first you have to reclaim volumes from primary pools data. Your copy
data will not be lost and all volumes (look below) will be reclaimed.
You will get the list of emptied volumes which on the phase two can be
retrieved back on-site. This must be done just after you are sure that new
copy volume(s) arrived off-site. Coming back you can take with you the
listed free/scratch volumes.

Remark: If an reclaimable volume contains just part of a file and the rest
is on another volume (which is your associated one). The file would be
reclaimed from both on a third volume (new copy vol) and now the second
volume usage can also drop below 5% (it will become 95% reclaimable). And
you will have another volume for reclamation.

Greetings
Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Ruth Robertson <rrobert AT COXNET DOT ORG> on 26.07.2001 22:08:47