ADSM-L

Re: backup DB doesn't reflect discarded data from TAPE DELETE

2001-07-11 10:41:53
Subject: Re: backup DB doesn't reflect discarded data from TAPE DELETE
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 10:42:19 -0400
You have been running "expire inventory"  haven't you?  This is a routine
process, ideally run daily that actually deletes info from DB.

David Longo

>>> Matt.Cooper AT AMGREETINGS DOT COM 07/11/01 10:22AM >>>
Hello all,
        I am in the process of finding out why some of the DATA on my tapes
are not expiring.  I have been learning a lot doing this but it is time
consuming (surprised right?).  Anyway to just correct some past injustices I
deleted most of the tapes that I know should not hold valid DATA based on
their date last written to.  The DELETE VOL=xxxxxxx  DISCARD=YES appeared to
work well.  It brought me back the tapes from 6 months ago, and sent all the
COPYPOOL tapes that were associated with the discarded data to the desired
PENDING status.  All seems well so far.  I start focusing on tapes that I
know should not have data that I did not delete.  I did a
SELECT * from backups where backup_date < '2001-04-02' .   The results
should have shown data that was backed up on
2001-04-01. BUT THERE IS A LOT OF DATA THAT  WAS BACKED UP ALL THE WAY BACK
TO 2000-12-xx.
What is going on here?  Why is the data there?  Shouldn't it have been
expired and the DB cleaned up?  Is there a process I should be running to
clean this UP?
Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Matt

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 07/11/01 10:46:23
---
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain This message
is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential, proprietary,
or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived
or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message in error, please
immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard
copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly,
use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are
not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to monitor all
e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in
this message are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where the
message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a particular entity;
and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such views or opinions.