ADSM-L

Re: 3494 phantom ejections

2001-06-15 09:27:41
Subject: Re: 3494 phantom ejections
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 09:28:41 -0400
>I have a 3494 that normally runs almost unattended.  Yesterday I had to
>attend to it because of a tape stuck in the drive, but also discovered 8
>carts in the IO port.
>
>These were all valid, in use ADSM tapes and the library was showing their
>status as manually removed.
>
>Any ideas how they could have gotten into this state? Is there a 3494 log
>I can look at?

Steve - If only your ADSM system is driving this library, then the cause of
        the ejections would most likely be reflected in your server
Activity Log.  (Customers should, one way or another, make sure that they
keep at least a year's worth of Activity Log data so that they can look
back on the often long history of a given tape.)  Beware some spud using
the mtlib command to cause such ejections.

I haven't seen your ADSM 3.1.2.50 level of software itself inciting an
ejection of this kind.  (Some levels of the product, around the timeframe
of last November, evidenced the problem of ejecting a tape when a process is
writing to tape and that tape reaches its EOT mark prior to all the data
that needs to be writen goes out. Accompanying message: ANR8355E.)

Consider using a monitoring program to watch the 3494 for peculiar states.
(I will send you a sample program.)  Also consider using SNMP alerts, per
the 3494 manuals.

   Richard Sims, BU