ADSM-L

Re: TSM 4.1 on OS/390 2.10 and RMM ????

2001-05-30 10:49:41
Subject: Re: TSM 4.1 on OS/390 2.10 and RMM ????
From: Christo Heuër <christoh AT ABSA.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 08:45:12 +0200
Hi Brian,

I'm including the discription for this APAR right at the bottom of this
mail.
It is very new - last updated 25/05/2001.
It is strange that you are already on this level of OS/390 and not
experiencing the problem - according to the description it is RMM specific -
not TSM related?
We were running 100% on 3.7.4 and OS/390 2.9 though...
I'll keep you guys/gals posted on progress.

Regards
Christo

Christo,

 We are running the same environment except that we are TSM 3.7.4 and we do
not have any problems with this issue. We did have a problem when we
attempted to scratch volumes under RMM and we applied OW47979 to correct
this issue and it did.

 I spoke with our RMM support group and they are unaware of the fast
positioning option in RMM under OS/390 2.10.

 If you would like could you please send me more information concerning the
fast positioning so that we can see if we are using it.

 Thanks,
    Brian

Brian L. Nick
Systems Technician - Storage Solutions
Phoenix Home Life Mutual Ins.
100 Bright Meadow Blvd
Enfield CT. 06082-1900

E-MAIL:  Brian_Nick AT PHL DOT COM
PHONE:   (860)403-2281

Hi All,

Are there anybody out there running OS/390 2.10 and TSM4.1.3.0 and using
RMM
as the tape mgmt. system?
We implemented this config and have been suffering with tape related I/O
errors since then.
The migration tasks fail with a 613-04 EOD abend on each and every tape it
tries to migrate to. You can mark the tape as reado and it will try the
next
tape and sometimes work and sometimes not - more often not....
In the new release of RMM there is something called fast positioning that
causes the EOD abends during disp=mod processing - this is what Tsm does
all
the time.
The APAR created last week for the problem is OW48730.
Needless to say we implemented the APAR last night but it has not solved
our
problem.

Is there anybody that runs this config without problems?

Thanks
Christo
PTF  For Release Level  Description
 UW78754  R1F0  OW48730: MSGIOS000I ERRORS USING RMM WITH FAST POSITIONING
DISP=MOD

APAR NUMBER: OW48730           RESOLVED AS: PROGRAM ERROR

ABSTRACT:
OW48730: MSGIOS000I ERRORS USING RMM WITH FAST POSITIONING DISP=MOD
ON HDZ11F0

ORIGINATING DETAILS:
Running OS390 rel 2.10 (dfsms 1f0 hdz11f0) and
using RMM for tape management system,
the following error scenarios may be received when
the blockid provided does not correctly position the tape.
.
1) IOS000I dddd,A9,EOD,02,0E00,,**,D18393,X0RSTAPI
   .08402036400009200B02(371D35F0000002FF)FFF0(02400009)CE0E2325
2) IOS000I dddd,08,FEN,02,0600,,**,263946,TPRMM
   .10406C47802334200101(70D2C10000000000)00F4(00000000)EF8F454
    PERMANENT ERROR - VOLUME FENCED
   IEC147I 613-04,IFG0195B ...

LOCAL FIX AS REPORTED BY ORIGINATOR:
Aparfix AW48730 available in DLL .

RESPONDER SUMMARY:
* USERS AFFECTED: Tape fast positioning with RMM.              *
* PROBLEM DESCRIPTION: msgIOS000I with EOD or VOI and          *
*                      possible msgIEC147I abend613-04 rc04.   *
* RECOMMENDATION:                                              *
MsgIOS000I...EOD or VOI indicating an IO error due to an
end of data or void condition occurs when 1) RMM via
the Volume Mount Installation Exit provides the ending
blockid for a labelled tape data set being OPENed for
mod or extend, and when 2) OPEN is not entered with
the tape left positioned at the end of the file being
OPENed for mod. The IO error occurs on a channel program
for a readblockid followed by a read issued in IFG019RC
called by IFG0195B. Subsequent IO issued in IFG0195B
may result in abend613-04 rc04 msgIEC147I.

RESPONDER CONCLUSION:
The ending blockid passed by RMM is for the second tape mark
after the trailer labels. OPEN issues 2 BSF ccw commands to
correctly position the tape in front of the tape mark that
preceeds the trailer labels. These 2 BSF's will now be
done prior to passing control to the label preread routines
in IFG019RC.

TEMPORARY FIX:

COMMENTS:

APAR INFORMATION:
Reported to correct a PTF in error:     NO
Reported as a highly pervasive problem: YES
Reported as a duplicate problem:        NO

PE Apar?:       NoPE
HIPER Apar?:    YesHIPER HIPER_01/04/02
DUP Apar?:      NoDUP
Component Name: DFSMS/MVS DATA
Version:        1F0
Component ID:   5695DF107
Submitted:      01/03/21
Closed:         01/03/29
Last Modified:  01/05/17
Change Team:    SJ2000

FIX INFORMATION:
Reported release thought to contain the error: R1F0

Applicable Component Levels:
R1F0 PSY UW78754 UP01/05/17 I      1000

APAR is fixed by one or more of the following PTFs:
UW78754

APAR is sysrouted FROM one or more of the following items:

APAR is sysrouted TO one or more of the following items:
UW78754