ADSM-L

Re: "File data currently unavailable on server"

2001-05-24 14:28:55
Subject: Re: "File data currently unavailable on server"
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 14:29:49 -0400
>     Forgive my novice-ness, but I'm charged with installing and
>configuring two TSM servers on the cheap. (def: Read manuals -no training).
>Things are pretty good so far but I have run into a little trouble
>restoring. Background NT, Domino Server, TDP for Domino. Manual single tape
>drive DLT 7000. I can't "see" the tape. When I try to do a restore via GUI
>or Command line I get same error "File data currently unavailable on
>server". The correct tape is in the drive and the "mount" window does not
>display any mount requests. how can I get the sever to mount or "see" the
>tape ? I do get a list of the files but it is obviosly from a log file and
>not the tape itself. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Patrick - Welcome to the fold...  The notes I have on that message:

ANS4314E File data currently unavailable on server
        As in attempt to restore from a tape whose Access value is Unavailable,
        which can be due to the tape having been involved in a past error
        situation, having been checked out of the library, etc.

So in your server session do 'query volume ______ f=d' to see what the TSM
status is of that tape that TSM does not think should be used.  You may be
able to do 'update volume ....' to correct its state; but look back in your
Activity Log (query actlog begind=-999 s=<VolumeName>) to see how it got
into its current state and whether that should affect your decision to
use it.

    Richard Sims, BU