ADSM-L

Re: TSM and MC/Serviceguard Cluster on HP-UX

2001-05-10 10:15:02
Subject: Re: TSM and MC/Serviceguard Cluster on HP-UX
From: tsmgroup ISASA <tsmgroup AT ISASA DOT ES>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 16:16:58 +0200
For backing up Service Guard clusters i install one TSM scheduler in each
physical none and one TSM scheduler for each package. The package's
scheduler runs with the same nodename in both nodes so when you perform an
incremental backup you only back up the files than have changed since last
backup.

dsm.sys:
-------------
Servername  tsm
Servername  tsm
  tcpserveraddress        tsmserver
  tcpport                              1500
  passwordaccess          generate
  schedmode                    prompted
  domain                             /internal_filesystems
[...]

Servername  tsm_packA
  tcpserveraddress        tsmserver
  tcpport                              1500
  passwordaccess          generate
  schedmode                    prompted

 nodename                   clustername_packA
 domain                /shared_disk_filesystems_packageA

dsm_packA.opt:
-----------------------
  Servername  tsm_packA
  Servername  tsm_packA

To start the scheduler as cluster service:
dsmc schedule -optfile=/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsm_packA.opt
If you don't want to syncronice dsm.sys/opt files place it on shared disks.

When you want to perform a restore:
dsmc restore -optfile=/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsm_packA.opt

Remember to register the cluster node (cluster_packA) in the TSM Server and
set the password in the client (dsmc
--optfile=/opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsm_packA.opt)
I hope this help you.
I hope this help you.

Carlos Raso
ISASA
craso AT isasa DOT es

Kurt Beyers <kurt.beyers AT DOLMEN DOT BE>@VM.MARIST.EDU> con fecha 10/05/2001
14:47:09

Por favor, responda a kurt.beyers AT dolmen DOT be

Enviado por:   "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

Destinatarios: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
CC:
Asunto:   TSM and MC/Serviceguard Cluster on HP-UX

Hi,

I need to backup MC/SG packages (the cluster packet of HP-UX) using TSM
(TSM
3.7 running on a NT server). As far as I understand, TSM can't make a
cluster aware backup (define the package as a client using it's IP
address).

This causes a few problems. For example, if the package switches from node,
the next incremental backup will be a full one because TSM sees the
filesystems of the package as new filesystems of the backup node. The same
for a restore, you should check first on which node the package is running
and I guess there will be a few other problems I haven't thought about yet.

How do you use TSM to backup a HP-UX cluster, are you using
workarounds/scripts for the problems? Are there still other problems with
the combination TSM/Serviceguard?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Thanx,
Kurt